It’s nominating season. Hugo nominations have just opened as I write this, and there are great lists everywhere of fantastic fiction that is all worthy of nominations and awards.
My monthly roundups of stories I read and loved through 2016 can be found here. In this post, I boil those roundups down to 30 short fiction stories, plus six novellas, and three novels.
For more story recommendations:
- …check out A.C. Wise’s meta eligibility and recommendations post (a fabulous resource).
- …and this excellent post by Cat Rambo listing many eligible writers and their fiction.
My Long List
- The Ballad of Black Tom, by Victor LaValle
- A Taste of Honey, by Kai Ashante Wilson.
- The Lilies of Dawn, by Vanessa Fogg
- The Kraken Sea, by E. Catherine Tobler.
- Culdesac, by Robert Repino.
- The Night Cyclist, by Stephen Graham Jones at Tor.com.
- A Dead Djinn in Cairo, by P. Djeli Clark at tor.com.
- Blood Grains Speak Through Memories, by Jason Sanford at Beneath Ceaseless Skies.
- Touring With The Alien, by Carolyn Ives Gilman at Clarkesworld.
- The Jewel And Her Lapidary, by Fran Wilde.
- The Obelisk Gate, by N.K. Jemisin
- Cloudbound, by Fran Wilde.
- Vigil, by Angela Slatter.
- Mongrels, by Stephen Graham Jones
- Tom, Thom, by K. M. Ferebee, at tor.com.
- Breaking Water, by Indrapramit Das, at tor.com.
- The Abduction of Europa, by E. Catherine Tobler in Clarkesworld.
- All the Souls Like Candle Flames, by Vanessa Fogg in Luna Station Quarterly.
- The Autobiography of a Traitor and a Half-Savage, by Alix E. Harrow at TOR.com.
- Our Talons Can Crush Galaxies, by Brooke Bolander in Uncanny Magazine.
- A Spell To Retrieve Your Lover From the Bottom of the Sea, by Ada Hoffman in Strange Horizons.
- The Banshee Behind Beamon’s Bakery, by Khaalidah Muhammad-Ali at Diabolical Plots.
- The Warrior Boy Who Would Not Suffer, by Abhinav Bhat in Apex Magazine.
- Now Watch as Belinda Unmakes the World, by Lynette Mejía at Flash Fiction Online.
- 1957, by Stephen Cox in Apex Magazine.
- So, You’re In an Alternate Universe, by Jeremy Packert Burke in Metaphorosis.
- My Body, Herself, by Carmen Maria Machado in Uncanny Magazine.
- Shadow Boy, by Lora Gray in Shimmer.
- My Grandmother’s Bones, by S.L. Huang at Daily Science Fiction.
- In Our Rags of Light, by Shira Lipkin in Strange Horizons.
- El Cantar of Rising Sun, by Sabrina Vourvoulias in Uncanny Magazine.
- Postcards From Natalie, by Carrie Laben in The Dark Magazine.
- A Certain Kind of Spark, by Gwendolyn Kiste in Mantid Magazine.
- Things With Beards, by Sam J. Miller in Clarkesworld.
- All The Colors You Thought Were Kings, by Arkady Martine at Shimmer.
- The Men From Narrow Houses, by A.C. Wise at Liminal Stories.
- 17 Amazing Plot Elements… When You See #11, You’ll Be Astounded!, by James Beamon at Daily Science Fiction.
- Songbird, by Shveta Thakrar at Flash Fiction Online.
- The Governess with a Mechanical Womb, by Leena Likitalo at Clarkesworld.
*toots own horn cautiously*
Well, will you look at that: I even made my own eligibility post. *blush*